Saturday 21 June 2014

An end and a beginning



This is an icon representing instructionsSo… after two years, give or take a month or so, I am finally approaching the goal of achieving a masters’ degree in Instructional Design and Technology.
It has not been an easy road. As I learned throughout the various courses, distance education may not be the best option for everyone, especially if one lacks powerful motivation, but it is here to stay. It also provides opportunities for previously under served populations who may not otherwise have had an opportunity to access educational offerings, especially in higher education. But I digress, this post is about ending… and beginning. 

Ending… as I desperately try to find the time to complete final projects, I am reflecting on one of the challenges of the instructional designer's career, i.e., many persons have no idea what we do. I also need to put some kind of career description into my final project, so here are a few sites which have helped me to further put into words the almost indefinable and sometimes seemingly intangible (but nevertheless very real) benefits  of instructional design.


So here goes… (while I’m stuck waiting on the resume, that I should have completed several weeks ago and which seems to have taken a kamikaze dive into cyber oblivion, to load.)
Susan Hales, Instructional Designer


Ms. Hales, who hails from Penn State, (pun, pun) has published a great list of what faculty at a higher education institution may expect from their IDs. Although not substantially employed as an ID, I too work at a college and find myself doing much of this stuff.

Thanks Susan, this has really helped.


Connie Malamed, the eLearning Coach


Ms. Malamed’s thoughtful post on ID and her top ten list have helped me to clarify my thoughts as well.Thanks Connie.


Cathy Moore, Let’s Save the World from Boring Training!


Ms. Moore’s post on how to become and instructional designer suggests “creating what the organization needs.” I love it! This is a great way to wriggle one’s self into an ID job. I will certainly try this at my workplace. They need me, even though they may not know it yet. (LOL) 


Beginning… I am looking forward to actually beginning to get a full night’s sleep in a little over a week after I finish this degree. I am also looking forward to continuing to do this ID stuff (even when not getting a grade) which I love, despite the long hours.

Well gentle readers, it’s 2 a.m. and my painstakingly created resume still has not loaded. (not LOL) Of course, this would have to be the one time that I did not follow my institution’s admonition to back up everything such as the resume, for example. I think I’ll call it a night (or morning, in this instance.)

Image courtesy of Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment